The two primary sex hormones in humans are testosterone and estrogen. While men produce more testosterone, women produce more estrogen.
The level of testosterone increases as a boy matures and it’s responsible for the maturity of sex organs, increased body and facial hair, bigger muscles, deeper voices, and also promote the production of sperm.
The level of testosterone varies throughout the day, usually high early in the morning. Naturally, the testosterone level decreases as you grow older. This means fewer firm erections, softer muscle tone, and less interest in sex later in life.
Low testosterone is a condition where the body does not produce enough testosterone. but this can be reversed.
Stay till the end of this post to find out causes of low testosterone, symptoms and how to increase it with African herbs around you. Read on!
What are the causes of low testosterone?
Age is one of the causes of low testosterone and it is less common in men under 30. other factors contributing to it include:
- high cholesterol levels
- high blood pressure
- being overweight or obese
- drinking excessive amounts of alcohol
- using illegal drugs
- using anabolic steroids
- taking certain prescription medications such as steroids and opiates, especially in excess
- Some cases of low testosterone may be linked to diabetes, liver disease, pituitary disease, etc.
Possible symptoms of low testosterone
Symptoms may include the following regardless of your age:
- erectile dysfunction, or problems developing or maintaining an erection
- other changes in your erections, such as fewer spontaneous erections
- decreased libido or sexual activity
- rapid hair loss
- reduced muscle mass
- increased body fat
- enlarged breasts
- sleep disturbances
- persistent fatigue
- brain fog
There are also other conditions or lifestyles that can cause these symptoms. Once the underlying cause is identified as low testosterone, it can be treated accordingly.
Natural ways to increase testosterone level
- consumption of more zinc will help regulate serum testosterone levels in men. foods rich in zinc include whole grain, shellfish, nuts, dairy, vegetables, etc.
- Consumption of potassium-rich food like bananas, beets, and spinach, etc. aids in testosterone synthesis
- Regular exercise will naturally increase testosterone
- Adequate sleep
- Reduce stress or learn stress management techniques.
African herbs treatment for low testosterone
1) African nutmeg
It is widely used as an ingredient for spicing meals. it is known as Ehuru ofia in Igbo language, gujiya dan Miya in Hausa, and Ariwo in Yoruba. Studies show that it increases sexual behaviors and boost testosterone level as well.
also know as Atale in Yoruba has been reported to be an effective treatment for low testosterone and may also improve sperm motility. Ginger is able to enhance the production of testosterone by:
- increasing LH production
- increasing the level of cholesterol in testes
- reducing oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation in the testes
- normalizing blood glucose
- increasing testicular weight, and recycling testosterone receptors.
Studies have revealed that consuming cloves can increase testosterone levels by boosting testicular function. 2-4 cloves daily is good.
4) Horny Goat Weed
Horny goat weed known as Imi Esu in Yoruba is a popular natural aphrodisiac. It enhances hormone production and increases libido. It is a promising treatment for erectile dysfunction according to few studies. This herb is also very effective in boosting immunity, promoting bone health, and anti-cancer.
Other herbs that can boost testosterone include Basil leaf(efirin), Cayenne, ashwangandha, etc.
Testosterone is a crucial hormone for many aspects of sexual health and body composition. There is a wide range of testosterone-boosting supplements to include organic herbal solutions that have noticeable benefits in individuals with low levels of testosterone and fertility issues.
- Premature Ejaculation: How long should a man last before ejaculation
- The Best and Surest Way to Overcome Premature Ejaculation
- 8 Best Food in Nigeria to Stop Premature Ejaculation
- Erectile Dysfunction: How to Get Back Your Sex-Drive on Full Speed
- Natural Cure for Erectile Dysfunction (ED) in Nigeria
What is the main cause of low testosterone?
What happens if you have low testosterone?
Should I worry about low testosterone?
How do I know if I need testosterone?
What happens if low T is not treated?
How do you fix low testosterone?
Does masturbation decrease testosterone?
How can I raise my testosterone fast?
What foods destroy testosterone levels?
What are the 4 foods that boost testosterone?
Do bananas increase testosterone?
Does caffeine increase testosterone?