The rash may appear like spots of irritated skin, swollen skin, or sore on the penis and other area of the genitals with other symptoms to indicate health issues. penis rash can cause discomfort and be painful during daily activities and sexual relations. take your time to read the possible causes of the rash and what you can do about it.
Some symptoms that may occur with a penile rash
Rash on the penis may be accompanied by symptoms that are related to genitourinary or another body system. they may include the following symptoms.
- Difficult or painful urination
- Discharge or pus
- Frequent urination
- Lumps or sores
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Painful ejaculation
- Redness, warmth, or swelling
- Testicular pain
- Flu-like symptoms
- Nausea with or without vomiting
- Rash and itching in other regions of the body
- Swollen lymph nodes
Why do I have a rash on my penis (possible causes)
Balanitis is also called glans penis or the foreskin. it is an inflammation of the head of the penis which is more common in uncircumcised males. dead skin cells, sweat, and bacteria can build up and cause the penis to swell leading to itching, redness, rash, and discharge under the foreskin. diabetic patients are at high risk of having it.
This is a red, itchy rash that occurs on the skin as a result of irritation from outside substances like chemicals in soap, cologne, detergent, or even spermicide. This outbreak can develop a few minutes or hours after contact and can stay up to a month. discontinue any new products to see if symptoms improve.
Rash on the penis can be a result of allergy or side effects of some kind of medications. Antibiotics, pain relievers, and Anti-inflammatory medications can cause fixed drug eruptions that can affect the genital and cause it to swell.
This is a moist rash that looks like deep red, shiny patches on the tip of your penis. because the area is always covered, it does not develop thick scales like psoriasis of the body.
Sexually Transmitted Disease (STDs)
These are infections or diseases that are contracted through sex. you cant get infections from having sex with a person who has it.
Types of STDs that cause a rash on the penis
The following are some infections that may cause you to have a rash on your penis.
This is caused by a mite known as Sarcoptes scabiei. The mite burrows into your skin and lays eggs that cause itching and acne-like rash. scabies can be gotten through a long period of skin-on-skin contact with a person who has it that made sex a common way to get it.
This is a highly contagious disease mostly spread through sexual activities. syphilis is contracted when the penis comes in direct contact with a syphilis sore called a chancre. you might not know you have syphilis because chancres do not itch. this disease can lead to serious health problems.
This is an infection that may cause itching, pain, and sores in your genital area. you may have no obvious symptoms but yet contagious. There are medications that can help reduce the symptoms and the risk of spreading it to others.
Yeast infection is a common fungus that becomes a problem when it grows too much. it can be a painful rash or redness on the under or head of your penis. yeast thrive more in humid conditions or when the immune system is weak.
How to prevent rash on the penis
Tips on how to prevent a rash on the penis are based on the cause of the rash. below are some helpful ways to prevent penile rash
- Reduce sex partners and practise safe sex using barrier methods e.g condom.
- manage a preexisting condition like herpes with medications
- Avoid products or things that triggered the reaction.
- Maintain a healthy diet to boost your immune system and fight against infections.
- Dry the head of your penis before clothing.
When to see your doctor
You will need to see your doctor right away if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Painful rash or rash crusting over the penis
- Rash on other parts of the body that is spreading quickly
- High Fever
- Rash like blisters or turning into sores
- Green or yellow fluid from the rash
- Red streak appears on the penis
- when the penis feels warm or swollen.
You can relieve some irritation on the penis at home using any of the following methods:
- Get moisturizers or anti-itch creams made especially for the penis area. These are less likely to contain harsh ingredients.
- You can take a salt bath to help reduce itching and discomfort.
- You can also use an ice pack or another cool compress to relieve irritation. Wrap it in a cloth first before applying it to your skin to avoid over-chilling the area.
- You need to avoid sexual intercourse and other activities that may aggravate irritation of the skin around your penis until your symptoms improve.
These remedies might temporarily relieve irritation, you still need to see your doctor determine if you need medical treatment.
A penile rash can be a serious disease that if left untreated can result in other complications and permanent damage. it is important to see your doctor diagnose the underlying cause and prescribe treatment as well. this will save you from potential complications like penile cancer, scarring penis etc.